[pptp-server] a Cosmetic problem

Robert Dege rcd at amherst.com
Wed Dec 5 09:02:55 CST 2001

I am not disputing that it is a client problem.  I don't think that it's
entirely PopTop's fault.  I guess my question was more geared as this:

Is there some way so that when the PPTP connection is made, that the
ms-dns entry in my options file is queried first by the client machine
instead of the default internet connection DNS servers?

Or, can I add a seach domain (search amherst.com) field to the options
field to force a local reverse lookup?

My interpretation is that Windows (98 for this example) queries for
intranet.amherst.com on the real world DNS server.... then times out.
If I specify the VPN IP, then it works fine.

Joe, why would adding an extra forward slash to the end of a URL make
the web browser access the page correctly.  I didn't think that the
extra slash at the end had any significance... please elaborate.

-Rob

> What do you get if you use the full domain ie: http://intranet.amherst.com
> It would be beneficial to know what version of Windows your client is. Can
> you ping "intranet", if so check your proxy settings... This will more than
> likely be an issue on your client rather than PoPToP.
>
> Matt

-Rob