[pptp-server] speed

joe ditto jditto at woh.rr.com
Sun Dec 9 16:03:14 CST 2001

hello,

time for me to revisit this subject again. i did some testing against a standard windows 2000 professional box that accepts vpn connections, as it will allow only one.  i used a program called goldmine to see how long it would take to open the program at a remote location.  it took over 2 minutes to open up on the linux box(10/100 ethernet, pIII 1ghz) and 25-30 seconds on the windows 2000 box(a little faster on the processor but not much), the servers were tested from the same location.

i need some help maybe someone could look at my configuration.

ppp-options file has:

name *
lock
debug
mtu 1490
mru 1490
proxyarp
auth
idle 3600
+chap
+chapms-v2
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
lcp-echo-failure 3
lcp-echo-interval 5
deflate 0
mppe-128
mppe-40
mppe-stateless
nobsdcomp

I'm running only windows millenium clients, and followed the 2.4 setup guide on their dial up settings.
I ran ifconfig on the linux box and of course it says the mtu is 1500, does this affect ppp in any way?
is their something i can do before i have to resort to implementing windows 2000.
the log files don't show any errors so i don't know what's going on or what's slowing me down, could it be samba? it runs great on the local lan.

samba configuration:

# Global parameters
[global]
      workgroup = LAW
      netbios name = FILE_SERVER
      server string = Samba Server %v
      encrypt passwords = Yes
      log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
      max log size = 50
      dns proxy = No
      remote announce = yes

[homes]
      comment = Home Directories
      writeable = Yes

[c-drive]
      path = /home/public/c
      valid users = jim rlditto kathie brent beth doris mary
      writeable = Yes
      create mask = 0777
      directory mask = 0777

[d]
      path = /home/public/d
      valid users = jim brent doris beth mary kathie rlditto
      writeable = Yes
      create mask = 0777
      directory mask = 0777

[public]
      path = /backup
      valid users = rlditto
      create mask = 0777
      directory mask = 0777

please help me, before i'm forced to switch to mickeysoft!

thank-you