[pptp-server] Attempts to get PPTPD and PPP working with CHAP

Janet Holmes dholmes at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 10 03:58:09 CST 2001

Hii Jem

> I assume that's the 'localip' and 'remoteip' options in the conf file?
>
> I haven't edited the pptp.conf file, but I have two subnets that I am
able
> to use Ips from... Both connected to the linux box. I assume that when a
> user connects to the pptp server, it effectively gains one of the Ips
> specified?

Yup, that's what happens

> If so... What do I need to put in localip and remoteip? The man page
wasn't
> too clear on exactly what the difference was between them.

Put one of your spare IP's as the localip. This is the address given to the
PPTP server end of the link

Put a range of IP's as the remoteip. One of these will be given to the PPTP
client end of the link.
If you want to use proxyarp, the remoteip range needs to be in your spare
IP's, otherwise it can be any range. The range size should allow for the
maximum number of simultaneous PPTP connections.

Dougal
--
Dougal Holmes (at home)
mailto:dholmes at bigpond.net.au