[pptp-server] Severe performance problems

Murali K. Vemuri muralivemuri at multitech.co.in
Wed Dec 12 19:30:44 CST 2001

hey george!

i know where could be the problem with compilation of mppe.
as i also faced the same problem, i digged around and finally made it work for
me.
i made a small change in the kernel makefile and it started working.
i wanted to notify the maintainers and could not do it as i don't know who
they are.
the patch you can download from http://www.advancevpn.com
and apply the patch to the kernel.
now go to /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/

vi Makefile.

now you should have a few rows like this:
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP) += ppp_generic.o slhc.o ppp_mppe.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC) += ppp_async.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY) += ppp_synctty.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE) += ppp_deflate.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP) += bsd_comp.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPPOE) += pppox.o pppoe.o

modify it as :
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP) += ppp_generic.o slhc.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC) += ppp_async.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY) += ppp_synctty.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE) += ppp_deflate.o ppp_mppe.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP) += bsd_comp.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PPPOE) += pppox.o pppoe.o

and now, go to kernel menuconfig.
in the network device options, you have
ppp support --> make it inbuilt to kernel not module.
and you have 4 options :
1. async serial ports
2. sync tty ports
3. deflate compression
4. bsd-comression

make all 4 of them as modules.( they should not be in built)
and now you proceed with the kernel compilation with

make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

and make sure that you have things proper in the /etc/modules.conf
and it will work!!!
it worked for me on 2.4.2 , 2.4.6 , and 2.4.4 kernels.
i am attaching the /etc/modules.conf what i have .
you can use it.
good luck
regds
murali