[pptp-server] Is it possible to allow all linux users with password to access PoPToP vpn with out adding chap-secret?

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Fri Dec 14 14:30:31 CST 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Brian Collins wrote:

> >I installed pptpd rpm in Redhat linux 7.2 machine. I want set linux
> >usernames and passwords authentication for connecting vpn. But i don't
> >want to enter username and password in chap-secrets file. Is it
> >possible?
>
> If the username in chap-secrets and /etc/passwd match, you should be able
> to use * as the password in chap-secrets.
>
> Anyone verify this for me?

No, you can't use /etc/passwd secrets for CHAP. You can, however, use
/etc/smbpasswd passwords for MS-CHAP. There are patches for pppd to
support that.

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739