[pptp-server] How to set iptables to doesn't masquerade the V PN traffic?

George Vieira GeorgeV at citadelcomputer.com.au
Thu Dec 20 15:00:31 CST 2001

So many posts I can't remember them all... Also make graphics go down the
mail, wrapping can be a real pain...

1) Does your firewall rules on Linux log ALL your DENY messages? You should
turn this on to see if the routes are denied or not.
2) The MASQ rule your using, did you specify the EXTERNAL ETHERNET card to
forward on? Eg.

ipchains -A forward -i eth1 -s 192.168.50.0/24 -j MASQ  # MUST insert "-i
EXTDEV"

    then your server should NOT MASQ internal users to the VPN user as that
user in on a PPP0/PPP1 device not ETH1.. so it's routed.
(This all depends on how your external connection is done ie. PPPoE
etc..etc..)

Your VPN user will not know how to get back to the internal users because of
your IP you giving them (192.168.0.1), it's not on the same network as the
internal users so it'll assume to send out via the internet and not the VPN.
This will mean you MUST supply a static/permanent route for that network
onto the VPN.. (what a pain)..

For this reason most people assign an internal IP for the VPN user so they
are part of the internal network and everything is sweet.
In your case:

192.168.50.1| PPTPD server |200.251.30.1 --------------------- 200.230.2.2 |
PPTPd client (NT)|192.168.50.250!!!!

This way, no routing is needed.. just use proxyarp in your servers options
file.

thanks,
George Vieira
Systems Manager