[pptp-server] PPTP connection

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Sat Dec 29 18:57:11 CST 2001

With brain dead Win9x systems... Under Network Properties, Select service
"Client for Microsoft Networks" then select "Logon to Windows NT Domain" and
specify the Domain Name that your NT PDC is configured to answer
authentication requests for. Also, under Network Properties->Identification
TAB, you will need to set Win9x workgroup affiliation to be the same as your
domain name. Unless you have multiple workgroups. Then, as with anything
else on Win9x... you will need to re-boot.

Once you re-boot, you will be prompted for username/password/domain. Here's
the brain dead part of Win9x -- Once you enter your login credentials, you
will then get the "Cannot find Domain Controller" error message. This is
actually normal because with brain dead Win9x systems, you cannot establish
a PPTP tunnel until after you login. Grrr!!! In contrast, with NT/W2K
systems, you can select the "Use Dialup Networking" box on the login screen
so that a PPTP tunnel can be established prior to when your system tries to
authenticate.

OK, enough of my ranting about my disgust with Win9x. To answer your
question, once you have properly configured your Win9x system to
authenticate against a  domain controller -and- you then bring up your PPTP
tunnel, your Win9x system will eventually authenticate against your PDC.
Just ignore the "Cannot find Domain Controller" message. Win9x will keep
trying to authenticate in the background. Should take a couple of minutes
after you establish your PPTP tunnel.

Of course, the above will only work if your PDC has registered with a WINS
server as type "Domain Controller" for your Domain Name. I believe the
netbios node type for a PDC is either 0x1b or 0x1c. Don't have the book in
front of me.

Good Luck
Steve Cowles