[pptp-server] Compiled and logging in - but can't find any ne twork nodes... =(

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Thu Feb 8 00:28:03 CST 2001

WINS server assignment through DHCP is valid, but only for clients
configured to use DHCP to configure the TCP/IP stack. Keep in mind, when
using a PopTop PPTP server - PPTP clients are configured through pppd
options, not DHCP. Although - On the other side of the coin, Microsoft's
PPTP server can be configured to use DHCP to configure remote PPTP clients.

> I edited /etc/pptpd.conf with the line:
>
>     ms-wins 192.168.0.2

BZZT! I hope the above is a type-o, but ms-wins is a pppd option, not a PPTP
option. FYI: from man pppd

  ms-dns <addr>
    If pppd is acting as a server for Microsoft Windows
    clients,  this  option allows pppd to supply one or
    two DNS  (Domain  Name  Server)  addresses  to  the
    clients.   The first instance of this option speci­
    fies the primary DNS address; the  second  instance
    (if  given)  specifies  the  secondary DNS address.
    (This option was present in some older versions  of
    pppd under the name dns-addr.)

  ms-wins <addr>
    If pppd is acting as a server for Microsoft Windows
    or "Samba" clients, this option allows pppd to sup­
    ply  one  or  two  WINS (Windows Internet Name Ser­
    vices) server addresses to the clients.  The  first
    instance  of this option specifies the primary WINS
    address; the second instance (if  given)  specifies
    the secondary WINS address.

> I've changed the samba resolve order to wins, lmhosts, blah,
> blah, blah... I've even added corresponding entries to
> /etc/lmhosts for a few machines on my network.

The default search order should be fine. Also, its rather hard to debug WINS
related problems when you add entries to the lmhosts file.

> The Linux server controls every function my old NT server
> used to on the network, why can't it see even the name of it,
> let alone the other nodes?

Based on your post, it sounds like you do not have WINS/Samba setup
properly. Without seeing your smb.conf file, I would only be guessing at
what the problem.

> When I log in, my IP address is an acceptable number falling
> into the 192.168.x.x subnet.  Is it maybe because my remoteip
> and my localip range are both in the 192.168.x.x subnet?
> Could this be it?

No, in fact I specify the remote and local ip addresses within the same
subnet. Helps with proxyarp's