[pptp-server] Stripping domainname and SMB password sync...

Dread Boy dreadboy at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 01:01:21 CST 2001

Quick questions:

1) I have the pamsmb.pat file.  Is this the right one I should have to strip
domainnames off of Windoze clients, and optionally do the SMB password
thing?

2) If so, how exactly do I apply the patch.  It keeps asking me for the
filename to patch.  I dunno...  The other patches seem to apply to an entire
directory tree automatically wihtout asking such things.  The patch file
itself doesn't seem to offer a hint, and I can find no documentation on the
sites I downloaded the patch from that can shed any light on this either.  I
know others have done it, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it myself.
Does anyone know of the top of their head?

3) I assume the SMB password thing only works when you specify
&/etc/smbpasswd& as the password line in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets.  IS this
correct?

4) I assume using the &/etc/smbpasswd& option is optional, one can still use
typed plain-text passwords directly in chap-secrets.  Is this true?

5) When logging in does the fact that chap-secrets' passwords are in plain
text also mean that the password from the client is also sent in plain text
or is it encrypted first, then somehow decoded before chap-secrets get a
hold of it for verification?

Thx all.  Everyone on this mailing list has been of great help so far.  =)
Muchly appreciated.