[pptp-server] Stripping domainname and SMB password sync...

Gill, Vern vgill at technologist.com
Fri Feb 9 08:15:51 CST 2001

3) I assume the SMB password thing only works when you specify
&/etc/smbpasswd& as the password line in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets.  IS this

correct?

Yes, this is correct.

4) I assume using the &/etc/smbpasswd& option is optional, one can still
use
typed plain-text passwords directly in chap-secrets.  Is this true?

Yes, this is correct. You can use both, but why?

I don't know what the patch you have is, but if you would like to grab
the patch I have compiled go here;
http://linus.yi.org/smbpw-mppe-stripdom-requiremppe.diff.bz2

I didn't write any of this stuff, I only combined them into a single
diff.

This patch combines the following functions;
mppe for ppp
use smb passwd file
strip ms domain
require mppe
require mppe-stateless

To use this patch, you need the following;
/etc/modules.conf
alias   ppp-compress-18         ppp_mppe

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets
*               *       &/home/samba/smbpasswd          *

/etc/ppp/options.pptpd
chapms-strip-domain
require-mppe
require-mppe-stateless

This should be applied to a pristine ppp-2.4.0 source tree. The top of
the patch has the instructions for applying...]

Again, I did NOT create these patches, I only combined them into one.

Enjoy...