[pptp-server] Now I'm Really confused!

Vu Pham vu at sivell.com
Thu Feb 15 13:16:17 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <jdonahue at agiletech.com>
To: <pptp-server at lists.schulte.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 10:50 AM
Subject: [pptp-server] Now I'm Really confused!

> I followed all the steps in the mail titled "Working under Redhat V7.0
with
> Kernel V2.2.17-14"
>
> and got all the way through, only error was when compiling modules...but
> that was expected.
>
> Now I launch "pptpd -d" no prob....I insmod ppp_mppe...that works...
>
> But when I "require Encryption" and try to connect it errors out, and at
> the server console I get "unrecognized option +mschap" if I remove that,
it
> says unrecognized option for +mschap-v2, then for mppe-40, and so on...and
> is I don't have those lines, then the client side says "server does not
> support encryption"
>
> What did I do wrong?

I am using kernel 2.4.1, ppp2.4.0b4. I did get that error before. I think I
did something wrong, but I didn't know where, but my pppd does not
understand those options. I even used strings to find inside pppd, and my
pppd binary did not contains mppe-40, mppe-128 .... So I changed the
Makefile in the pppd directory, commented out the two lines ifdef MPPE and
endif , so that the line CFLAGS += -DMPPE=1 becomes active, and recompiled
again.
This time my pppd binary did understand those options.

Vu