[pptp-server] 2.4 woes

Alex King alex at milton.king.net.nz
Sat Feb 17 01:19:13 CST 2001

Thanks to those who replied, I'm 90% there now.  I thought I'd post an
interim status report on my efforts.

Basically, my target was a Debian potato system with Kernel 2.4 and
pptpd working with ms-chap and ms enccyption.

This is what I did to get it going:

Grabbed modutils (2.4.102) sources from woody and compiled and installed.

Grabbed kernel linux-2.4.1.tar.bz2
grabbed ftp://ftp.binarix.com/pub/ppp-mppe/linux-2.4.0-openssl-0.9.6-mppe.patch.gz
Patched built and installed kernel

Grabbed ppp (2.4.0f-1) sources from woody, and unpacked thru to the
sources.make stage. (ie completed the patching for debian)

Grabbed http://linus.yi.org/linux/smbpw-mppe-stripdom-requiremppe.diff.bz2
and used it to patch the ppp sources.  Only one hunk failed and had to
be manually applied.

Compiled and installed ppp package.

Installed the pptpd (1.0.0-4) package from potato.

Tested against a Win98 client; it can do ms-chap and ms encryption and
basically works.

...Only I didn't do it like that, here are the issues I encountered...

1. checking passwords against /etc/smbpasswd still doesn't seem to
work although I beleive I have it set up correctly.

2. tried to work it with a kernel with everything compiled in - mppe
encryption doesn't seem to work compiled in to the kernel.  I checked
the System.map of the compiled kernel - the mppe functions actually
appear in the kernel - but it  wasn't working.  As soon as I compiled
a modular kernel with ppp_async and ppp_mppe as modules and modprobed
them, it started working - yet nothing else was changed.  My
conclusion is - and I'd like to hear others' experience with this -
even though it compiles into a kernel mppe doesnt work compiled in.

3. Documentation is incomplete and trailing the bleeding edge - the
archives of this list were the best source of documentation.

I'm willing to write up my experiences more fully - if anyone is
interested let me know and I'll post them on a web page.  Also I think
by far the best way to advance pptpd and make it simpler for people
to use would be to integrate some of these kernel/pppd patches with
the upstream sources.  What is preventing this happening?  Anyone
know?

Alex