[pptp-server] Netmask woes... Last thing I'm sure.

Dread Boy dreadboy at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 06:01:34 CST 2001

OK.  Here goes.  I'm able to log in from anywhere with any SMB
username/password combo, strip off the MS domain crap, and authenticate
perfectly from Win95A, 95B, 98, 98SE, NT4, and 2000.  Cool.

However, my client's IP address always shows a netmask of 255.255.255.0
which is correct.  My LAN is a private subnet 192.168.0.x (I've used Class
"C" even though these are for a Class "B" network, no matter either way.)

Now, after the client connected, I could never, ever see any Windoze
machines, including my Linux Samba server with WINS, DNS, remote announce,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

This is because when I check the ppp0 interface with "ifconfig" the ppp0
interface always shows a netmask of 255.255.255.255.  Of course this is
quite futile if you want to view any of the 253 computers on your Class C
network.  =(

I can run "ifconfig ppp0 netmask 255.255.255.0" and force the netmask, but
this seems to make no difference after connection.  I still can not see even
the samba server trying WINS, BCAST, or LMHOSTS.

I assume this is because I am stuck with that 255.255.255.255 netmasking
door in my face.

I am running PoPToP 1.0.1 with ppp 2.3.11 and kernel 2.2.17.

I have an NT server at 192.168.0.1.  (Netmask 255.255.255.0)

I have a Linux SMB server at 192.168.0.2 with two network cards for gateway
usage, etc.  192.168.0.2 is eth0 and my other IP is eth1.  My ipchains
script is almost perfect for forwarding, blockage, etc.

I can see neither of these machines, or any other nodes for that matter.

I can connect remotely from other Windoze machines.

I read through the man pages for pppd and found the "netmask" option which
is supposed to be placed in /etc/ppp/options.  However, when I add "netmask
255.255.255.0" into the options file, it definitely isn't rejected by pptpd
or pppd, but still 255.255.255.255 comes up on the ppp0 interface.  In the
pppd man pages it states that "some O/Ses won't allow anything but"

What?!  I've read several threads on the mailing list of people having
success with RedHat Linux.  What am I doing wrong?  I have RedHat 6.2
(Originally kernel 2.2.14-5.0, now is 2.2.17 with GRE and ppp-2.3.11 with
all of the MS patches which seem to be working fine.)

Argghhh!!!

How does one get by this?  I'm sure it's the last step to enabling MS
clients to access our VPN.

Who's got the quick answer for this one?