[pptp-server] Netmask woes... Continue on....

Dread Boy dreadboy at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 12:02:06 CST 2001

Hold on, I'm assuming you only read a piece of what I was trying to relay.
The SMB, WINS, DHCP, Apache, FTP, ipchains, and DNS functions work perfectly
on my server.  I replaced an NT 4 server completely with its functions.  Any
Windoze/SMB node that receives a 192.168.0.x address with a netmask of
255.255.255.0 is seen by the LAN.

The problem ain't with that side of things from what I know.

Are you trying to say that the 255.255.255.255 netmask shown by ppp0 is
valid, and it should correspond to any class of network?

What if I had a Class "A" network "10.x.x.x" how does ppp0 know what the
netmask is?  Class "B" "192.168.x.x", etc.

Are you saying that the netmask shown in ppp0's configuration just
automatically matches to whatever the internal LAN's netmask is?

If this is true, please elaborate, because I'm stumped.

Thx.

>However, my client's IP address always shows a netmask of 255.255.255.0
>Now, after the client connected, I could never, ever see any Windoze
>machines, including my Linux Samba server with WINS, DNS, remote announce,
>This is because when I check the ppp0 interface with "ifconfig" the ppp0
>interface always shows a netmask of 255.255.255.255.  Of course this is
I think the problem is another one; the netmask that counts is the one
you see on the win9x pc doing run->winipcfg, the ppp0 netmask is not the
problem.

>I can see neither of these machines, or any other nodes for that matter.
>I can connect remotely from other Windoze machines.
So you can ping the machine through vpn, but cannot use netbios?
If you do "find computer" using the ip address, do you find it?

giulioo at pobox.com