[pptp-server] Netmask woes... Continue on....

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Thu Feb 22 12:53:05 CST 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:02:06 -0700, you wrote:

>Hold on, I'm assuming you only read a piece of what I was trying to relay.
>The SMB, WINS, DHCP, Apache, FTP, ipchains, and DNS functions work perfectly
>on my server.

You said
"...Now, after the client connected, I could never, ever see any Windoze
machines, including my Linux Samba server with WINS, DNS, remote
announce, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..."
and then talked about netmask problem.
I understand "never, ever" as a negation, but English is not my language
:-); I thought  your vpn client could not see the samba server and you
thought this was due to the netmask you see in ppp0.
I said I thought this was not the case.

>Are you trying to say that the 255.255.255.255 netmask shown by ppp0 is
>valid, and it should correspond to any class of network?
I'm saying that ppp0 is used as a tunnel for the real connection, so
that the netmask that has effect on windows networking is the one you
see in the win9x pc's doing winipcfg.

>What if I had a Class "A" network "10.x.x.x" how does ppp0 know what the
>netmask is?  Class "B" "192.168.x.x", etc.
As I said, I think the netmask that counts is the one used by win9x
clients and the win9x clients choose the netmask using "classful
reasoning", you cannot change that.
If the win9x clients gets a 10.x.x.x it will use 255.0.0.0, if it gets
192.168.x.x it will use 255.255.255.0 and so for B.

>Are you saying that the netmask shown in ppp0's configuration just
>automatically matches to whatever the internal LAN's netmask is?
Don't know, I never worried about the ppp0 netmask, it gets set to
255.255.255.255 on my system too.

giulioo at pobox.com