[pptp-server] PPP speed

Christopher L. Everett ceverett at ceverett.com
Sun Feb 25 18:25:03 CST 2001

Hello all:

the manual says that the way to set the speed of
the PPTP connection is with a line saying

speed xxxxxxxx

in the /etc/pptpd.conf where xxxxxxxx is the bit
rate you want.  I'd like to know if there are other
factors.  I'm using Linux-based PPTP servers on the
Internet to let people hook up to Win2K Terminal
Servers accross the country, and while the remote
control experience in very nice, print performance
using the standard MS redirection to the Terminal
Server clients is abysmal, like 2 to 4 minutes to
print a one page document (looks like 300+ KB are
being sent).  Even with 144 KBPs or better at both
ends, which should handle 350KB in 15-20 seconds
max, its really quite poor.

When I look at the load pptpd is putting on the
firewall (P-133, 64 MB RAM) with top I see that its
never more than 4% of capacity, so I don't think
that 128 bit encryption is causing a slowdown like
the MS support engineer claimed ...

I'm pretty sure all this is due to the high quality
engineering coming from Redmond, but I'm willing to
entertain the possibilty of a tweak to PoPToP
helping lots.

  --Christopher