[pptp-server] ppp forwarding - more questions...

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Wed Feb 28 00:08:10 CST 2001

Your almost there! But if you are not able to ping other "machines" on your
LAN then you have not resolved your layer 3 protocol issues. i.e. routing
TCP/IP, PPTP and PPP. 99% of the time this problem can be traced to your
ipchain rules NOT allowing packets of data to be ACCEPT'd and/or FORWARD'd
from eth+ to ppp+ devices and vice versa.

In addition to what Tim has posted, I find the following ipchain option
helpful in resolving problems with rules that I know "should" work. (famous
last words!)

Anyway, try: ipchains -L -n --line-numbers

The line-number option will point out where that rules position is in your
input/output/forward chains. i.e. Do you have a DENY rule being processed
before your ACCEPT rules? In other words, have you used append (-A) when you
should have used insert (-I) when adding rules to your firewall script.
Especially in your forward chains.

Good luck!
Steve Cowles