[pptp-server] ppp forwarding - more questions...

Jerry Vonau jvonau at home.com
Wed Feb 28 21:30:15 CST 2001

Dread Boy:

This is what I use in ip-up.local:

/sbin/ipchains -I input -i eth1 -b -s 10.0.0.0/8 -d 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -I output -i eth1 -b -s 10.0.0.0/8 -d 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -I forward -i eth1 -s 10.0.0.0/8 -d 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -I input -i ppp+ -b -s 10.0.0.0/8 -d 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -I output -i ppp+ -b -s 10.0.0.0/8 -d 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -I forward -i ppp+ -d 10.0.0.0/8 -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT

Make sure that there is an entry in the /var/log/messages, when the link is
brought up, that says:

Feb  2 20:05:59 vvvvvvv pppd[23097]: found interface eth? for proxy arp

If not you won't see jack past the pptp server. The cause is the remote ip
that is not in the same range as the local lan that it can use for proxyarp.

In pptp.conf are the local and remote ip on the same address range?
ie:
local 192.168.0.1
remote 192.168.0.111-121

If not the proxyarp will fail and you'll have to add the arp statement
in  ip-up.local.

You have proxyarp in the options file?

Jerry Vonau