[pptp-server] [pSAMBA Wins Server

David Moylan djm at wiz.net.au
Wed Jan 3 14:46:04 CST 2001

> in the browse list, but won't do resolution right... the only
> way to make reslution work again, is to reboot all the machines
> on the network.. not a very efficient thing when a network has
> over 15 computers... is there a way to fix this? Can I give
> SAMBA a list of static IP's for name resolution?

you need to make samba cause an election on startup. ensure you
have these lines in your smb.conf

local master=yes
os level=65
preferred master=yes

this will help for local LAN machines, but not over a WAN

do you have multiple LANs connected? or just individual
machines connecting in?

this is all caused because nmbd erases the "browse.dat" file when
it starts. i wonder if there is a command to prevent this from
occuring. i haven't gone looking for it myself.

cheers, Wiz!!