[pptp-server] [pSAMBA Wins Server

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Wed Jan 3 13:36:40 CST 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:31:51 -0600, you wrote:

>> in the browse list, but won't do resolution right... the only
>> way to make reslution work again, is to reboot all the machines
>> on the network.. not a very efficient thing when a network has

>There is no need to reboot. All of your clients will eventually send a
>renewal (keep alive) to the WINS server. If you can't wait for the renewal

Actually I have the same problem, even if it's unrelated to pptp.
The win9x's seem to never refresh or to do it just once; or maybe it's
samba that does not understand the way win9x machines refresh.
I set up the samba "wins hook" to log all the wins stuff and this
clearly shows in the log.

I tried
nbtstat -RR
but it does not send a refresh, it seems it just purges the local win9x
cache, so that the samba wins db is unaffected.

Do your win9x clients regularly refresh with samba?

giulioo at pobox.com