[pptp-server] PPTPD under Debian

SNguyen at pdit.com SNguyen at pdit.com
Mon Jan 8 22:05:39 CST 2001

> > Anyone here got it to work under Debian?  I can't get it to
> work.  It uses
> > pptpd instead of pppd.  Thanks.
>
> I did once get it to work, with earlier versions (of
> everything ;-) and
> not too much pain.
>
> Could you be more explicit about the problems/challenges you
> are facing?

Hi Neale,

Thanks for helping.  I have a fresh install debian 2.2 with debian package
poptop "pptpd 1.0.0-4".
It is dual home and networking aspect of either interfaces are working fine.

Eth0 has public ip and eth1 has private ip.
After configuring /etc/ppp/options, /etc/ppp/chap-secrets, /etc/pptpd.conf
and finally Windows VPN client program, I get this:

"Disconnected.  Error 619: The specified port is not connected."

I notice there's  /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/pptpd-options in Debian.
Which one should I use?

I don't know which one to use so I configured both.  Here's my
/etc/ppp/options:

ms-dns 10.10.10.20
ms-wins 10.10.10.20
auth
require-chap
proxyarp
noipx

...and here's my /etc/ppp/pptpd-options:

debug
name dragon
auth
+chapms
+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless
ms-dns 10.10.10.20
ms-wins 10.10.10.20
nodefaultroute
proxyarp
lock
logfile /etc/ppp/pptpd.log

...and my /etc/pptpd.conf:

debug
speed 115200
option /etc/ppp/pptpd-options
localip 10.10.10.209
remoteip 10.10.19.201-254

...and finally my /etc/ppp/chap-secrets:

# client	server	secret			IP addresses
NTDOMAIN\\testaccount 	NTPDC	 testaccountpasswordhere		*
# the "testaccount" would be my domain password

...that's it.  The above info in chap-secrets is not an actual account it is
just modified text to represent the actual info.  At the windows 2K Pro VPN
client program, I chosed PPTP instead of Automatic and put "testaccount" for
login, "testaccountpasswordhere" for password, and "NTDOMAIN" for domain
field respectively.  "NTPDC" is mapped to an IP address in /etc/hosts.  Any
ideas to what I did wrong? Anything I put in the above files are not really
needed?  Thanks in advance.

Steve