[pptp-server] PPTPD under Debian

Philip Van Baren phil at vibrationresearch.com
Tue Jan 9 10:18:24 CST 2001

> I notice there's  /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/pptpd-options in Debian.
> Which one should I use?

The one being used is /etc/ppp/pptpd-options, as configured using the
"option" parameter in /etc/pptpd.conf

> ...and here's my /etc/ppp/pptpd-options:
> debug
> name dragon
> auth
> +chapms
> +chapms-v2
> mppe-40
> mppe-128
> mppe-stateless
> ms-dns 10.10.10.20
> ms-wins 10.10.10.20
> nodefaultroute
> proxyarp
> lock
> logfile /etc/ppp/pptpd.log
> ...and my /etc/pptpd.conf:
> debug
> speed 115200
> option /etc/ppp/pptpd-options
> localip 10.10.10.209
> remoteip 10.10.19.201-254
> ...and finally my /etc/ppp/chap-secrets:
> # client        server  secret                  IP addresses
> NTDOMAIN\\testaccount   NTPDC    testaccountpasswordhere                *

the server parameter (second parameter on the line) in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
"NTPDC" must match the name option's value in /etc/ppp/pptpd-options.  In
your case, the pptpd-options file specifies "name dragon", so your
chap-secrets should be:

# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
NTDOMAIN\\testaccount   dragon    testaccountpasswordhere                *