[pptp-server] Quality of Service-Linux

George Vieira GeorgeV at citadelcomputer.com.au
Tue Jan 9 15:53:36 CST 2001

Usually network admins have to use hardware such as a CISCO router with
bandwidth control.

You have two options that I know of if you want a software solution:

1. Use the bandwidth shaper that comes with linux to limit bandwidth.
1a. side effects to this: this effects the bandwidth of the whole device eg.
ETH0 limited to 64Kb/s and not on the protocol. Don't think it works with
non physical devices...eg PPP0

2. Use ET/BWMGR software bw manager (http://www.etinc.com/bwmgrfaq.htm)
2a. side effects to this: Get ready to pay for it. Works on a small selected
amount of NICs.

thanks,
George Vieira