[pptp-server] Error 645 puzzle

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Sun Jan 14 16:14:38 CST 2001

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, yan seiner wrote:

> I had been using Win95 to connect to my poptop server until recently.  I
> had no need of my laptop for a while.  Now when I try to conect, I get:
>
> Error 645: The Microsoft Dialup Adapter is in use or not responding
> properly.
>
> This used to work fine.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled windows
> networking - no joy.

Known problem: see MS Knowledge Base article Q188141 (this is in the
archives of this list).

The trick is that you need to install VPN support the "correct" way (no I
don't know why it will install in a way that doesn't work).

> OK, so I looked at the logs on the server. Seems that my ISDN modem (an
> Eicon DIVA LAN MODEM) does not like pptp...

Judging by the recent traffic here, I won't go so far as to say that all
will be well after you fix the 645 :-|

HTH,
Neale.