[pptp-server] PoPToP and PPPD fun

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Thu Jul 5 15:19:50 CDT 2001

I've set a friend of mine up with an old Linux box to use as a
firewall/router.  I recently upgraded his kernel to 2.4.5 and decided since
I had a similiar configuration running on both my server and our company's
server, to add PoPToP to the mix to allow him remote access to his network.
Everything appears to have compiled fine using PoPToP v1.1.2, kernel 2.4.5,
and pppd 2.4 with the same patches used for our company's installation.  The
problem is that pppd keeps complaining that the kernel is not built with ppp
support.  However, I've compared the ppp modules with the modules on our
company's functioning server.  Both system have the following modules:

ppp_generic.o
ppp_mppe.o
ppp_async.o
ppp_synctty.o
ppp_deflate.o

All of these modules load without error.  Anyone got any ideas?  I used the
same .config file for both systems, the only difference being that one (the
office) is a 586 and the other (my friends) is a 486.  So, I made the
appropriate changes in the kernel configuration menus.

Jamin W. Collins