[pptp-server] Re: Unknown PPP_MAGIC in header files

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Tue Jul 10 23:01:07 CDT 2001

George Vieira [mailto:GeorgeV at citadelcomputer.com.au] wrote:
> Kernel Source is the only way to go. Alot of people ompile
> from the Distro's supplied source and people have problems
> with "unresolved symbols" etc..etc..
>
> I usually copy the .config file and trash the complete source
> and tar xvfz the new one.. this gets rid of any/all compiling
> problems FOR ME anyway....

Absolutely!  I always grab source directly from http://www.kernel.org and
use the config files from the RH kernels as a staring point for my new
kernel (saves a lot of time finding all those quirky dependancies).  Then
compile a kernel with no patches just to make sure my configuration works.
Then apply the patches I want and then make any config changes needed by the
new patches and compile again.

Jamin W. Collins

P.S. Currently having a problem compiling a 2.4 SMP kernel for my file
server, but other than this system it's always worked for me.