[pptp-server] Wins Server With Multiple Workgroups

Dougal Holmes dholmes at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 13 23:36:38 CDT 2001

That is not exactly correct.

You have problems with your browse master(s). Windows uses a combination of
broadcasts and WINS lookups to resolve browse lists, and doesn't seem to
like it when a browse master of a workgroup disappears.

Remember there is a browse master for each workgroup, and for each different
IP network. And Win2000 will become a browse master before a WinNT PTD/BDC,
then a WinNT Workstation and then (finally) Win98/95. However if a Win95/98
machine ever becomes a browse master at any time, it can be quite hard to
convince it to stop. And itcan take a reboot of the PDC (if one exists) or
the WINS database to time out (up to three days) for the other domains to
come back.......

Using \\machinename\xxx bypasses browse masters all together, and uses a
simple WINS lookup to find the address.

Dougal Holmes (at home)
mailto:dholmes at bigpond.net.au