[pptp-server] pptp through firewall

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Thu Jul 19 14:49:09 CDT 2001

Christopher Kalos [mailto:ckalos at gothambroadband.com] wrote:
> I can't ping anything aside from the VPN
> box on the internal net.  Am I missing anything to make this
> work properly?
(snip)
> /etc/pptpd.conf
> ====
> speed 115200
> option /etc/ppp/pptpd-options
> localip 192.168.100.240-254
> remoteip 192.168.200.240-254
> ====
> Our actual LAN is on 192.168.200.0, so this might be part of
> the problem.

I believe your problem here is a matter of routing.  You are assigning a
192.168.100.x to the internal side of the VPN connection, yet your lan uses
192.168.200.x address.  There are two solutions to this.  One enable
forwarding on the Linux box.  This is not the best solution as it opens a
bunch of security concerns unless you have a tight firewall.  The other
solution is to use a single ip for the local side of the connection that is
in the same subnet as your local network (i.e. 192.168.200.239).

Jamin W. Collins