[pptp-server] Kernel 2.4.7 - PPTP - Success!

J. Iddings jiddings at zecurix.com
Sat Jul 21 16:31:55 CDT 2001

Greetings,

Just wanted to send out a quick thank you to all of you that provided with
information regarding PPTP and Linux Kernel 2.4.  I ended up starting with a
fresh Redhat 7.1 installation, downloaded the latest kernel (2.4.7) & ppp
2.4.1, patched everything, per the how-to, compiled...  everything worked on
the first go around!  Either that how-to is really good or I'm getting
better at this. ;)

Just one additional follow up question though..  Speed?  After experimenting
with my brand spankin new VPN connection, I became increasingly disappointed
in the speed.  I figure I have a decent 1.5m/386k DSL connection here at my
house here and an unused full T1 where my VPN server is.  Looking thru the
pptpd.conf docs, I noticed a speed option.  I increased the speed to
460800... that seemed to make a difference, but not a big one.  I have
little experience with real world VPN's..  so is unimpressive speed to be
expected?  Don't get me wrong, it's tolerable.. but it's not spectacular.

Thanks again!

Jeff