[pptp-server] Windows 2000 to poptop VPN, question.

Matthew Gavin mattgav at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 21 22:51:36 CDT 2001

Hi, I have a poptop server on:

Flavour: Redhat 7.1
Poptop: pptpd-1.0.1-1
PPP: ppp-2.4.0-3mpp
Kernel: 2.4.2-3 #1 SMP

The Poptop VPN works perfectly with Win 98 and Win NT4, but when I connect
with a Windows 2000 client, I can't seem to ping my internal LAN
(10.x.x.x)... I have an ADSL connection to the Internet. It worked fine when
I was on Win 98. This is what /var/log/messages on the Poptop server shows:

CTRL: Client 144.x.x.x control connection started
CTRL: Starting call (launching pppd, opening GRE)
pppd 2.4.0 started by root, uid 0
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
GRE: Discarding duplicate packet
CTRL: Ignored a SET LINK INFO packet with real ACCMs!
MSCHAP-v2 peer authentication succeeded for username
found interface eth0 for proxy arp
local  IP address 203.x.x.x
remote IP address 203.x.x.x
MPPE 128 bit, stateless compression enabled

Once connected, I want to be able to telnet to hosts and bring up my
Intranet page and so on and so on... but look at this:

C:\>ping 10.x.x.x

Pinging 10.x.x.x with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

C:\>nslookup
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 10.x.x.x: Timed out

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, the FAQ at poptop.lineo.com is very
vague.

Regards,

Matt