[pptp-server] WINS failing over PopTop

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Tue Jul 31 11:39:46 CDT 2001

If I understand your response correctly, creating a domain login script
might help with adding the route manually. Also, at the PPTP server, you can
always edit the ip-up script to add any firewall rules and/or routes that
might be needed. Again, I do not understand your network architecture fully.

> 	As for WINS, there's an NT server on the LAN already,
> which I've got full access to over the VPN,

Does this server have WINS installed and operational??????

> but I have to use the IP instead of the WINS hostname in
> the UNC path.  From what you've just mention, that may not
> be normal.

No its not. If you have a properly configured WINS server on your LAN *and*
all clients/servers on that LAN are configured to register with that WINS
server...

Then in order to get the PPTP client to use the WINS server - insure that
the PPTP servers ppp options file contains the 'ms-wins' directive that
points to the WINS servers IP address. Also, insure that the
workgroup/domain registration of the PPTP client matches that of the LAN
PC's and servers.

Steve Cowles