[pptp-server] PPTP masquerade

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Fri Jun 22 12:32:49 CDT 2001

Vladimir Strezhnev [mailto:vlast at eetc.com] wrote:
> What are the general guidelines for such a routing?
>
> > If you want to do somethinglike this (multiple people
> > behind one public IP) I suggest two alternatives.
> > 1) Use a VPN client to make the connection and route the
> > other clients through it (this could be on the public IP
> > box or another).

This all depends on what your OS options are.  You will need an OS or
software package capable of handling the routing for you.  By default, NT
can do this for you, 98 will need addition software to do something like
this, and of course Linux can handle this.  Once the OS determination has
been made, you will need to establish the VPN connection on the box.  Then
you would update the boxes routing tables to include rules for traffic that
is destined for the remote network.  Finally, you would update the routing
rules on each required workstation so that traffice destined for the remote
network was sent to the VPN box you have just created.  Provided that you
have forwarding or masqing configured on this VPN box with the right rules
your traffic should route to the remote network.

This is a quick overview of the requirements.  More detail can be provided
if needed.

Jamin W. Collins