[pptp-server] PPTP masquerade && MS non-compliance

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Fri Jun 22 12:46:39 CDT 2001

ctooley at amoa.org [mailto:ctooley at amoa.org] wrote:
> That's correct, but I don't think there is anyway that
> (especially a PPTP server) a project can ignore MS
> non-compliance to the RFC if the server is to be used
> in the real world.  Unfortunately in the real world I
> have to be able to use it in conjunction with MS
> non-compliant software.  Otherwise I'd use something
> like ssh tunnelling that is easier to make transparent
> on non-MS platforms.

Last I checked, this was the "real world" (or at least it appears to be) and
I'm using PoPToP quite happily without worrying about MS's non-compliance to
their own RFC.  There really isn't any reason to want to make multiple VPN
connections from the behind the same Masq server to the same destination.
Doing so is a waste of bandwidth and there are many better ways to go about
providing the same functionality.

Jamin W. Collins