[pptp-server] PPTP masquerade && MS non-compliance

Allan Clark allanc at caldera.com
Fri Jun 22 13:41:58 CDT 2001

Jamin Collins wrote:

> Allan Clark [mailto:allanc at caldera.com] wrote:
> > We were back somewhere around "multiple connections between two boxes,
> > one of which is masquerading for the actual PPTP clients" --
> > and whether this is a good thing for poptop and the masquerading folks
> > to consider.
> >
> > There's a heavy precident in the industry for "that's what the spec
> > says, but we're emulating the non-compliance of those guys".
> > I think we should consider supporting this, **AND** draft an
> > ammendment or revision to the RFC.
>
> I'm not so sure that is a good route to begin walking down.  Just because
> there is a precedent to not follow the RFC because X other company doesn't
> isn't a good way to do things.  This is equivelant to the whole peer
> pressure question "if everyone else jumped off a bridge would you?".
>
> We need to consider not just whether someone else did something, but whether
> it is the right thing to do.  For me, it's simple, it's not the right thing
> to do.

You don't explain the reason for your judgment.

When making this "simply not right" judgment, are you working on Logic
faithful compliance ("It's not right because the RFC says so").

Blind faith on a spec that seems to have necessitated non-compliance
should be reviewed.  The RFC is a guideline which should be followed as
best possible.  Even Military services change rules; the RFC might
indeed be wrong.  We've shown a point where it could be incorrect.  RFCs
often fail to concretely describe protocols until a few iterations and
clarifications.

This is why I suggest "fix and amend": if it's wrong, build a reference
source product, and amend the RFC to concretely describe the better
way.

Allan