[pptp-server] interfaces

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Tue Mar 6 13:52:33 CST 2001

The relevant line in my smb.conf file:
  interfaces = lo eth0

FYI: eth0 is my private interface.

> Will this cause problems for the PPTP clients though? or will being
> assigned a remote ip compensate for that?

To answer your question: If your ipchain rules are properly configured, this
will not cause a problem.

Don't get confused by your requirement to block (DENY) SMB/NMB packets on
eth0 (as you should) versus ACCEPTING/FORWARDING PPTP tunnel packets which
"could" contain an encapsulated SMB/NMB packets!

> If not interfaces, would hosts allow be a better solution?
>
> host allow 172.28. 127.0.0.1
>
> 172.28. -- our local intranet first two octets.
> 127.0.0.1 -- local host
>
> Just want to make sure.

The relevant line in my smb.conf file:
  hosts allow = 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0 192.168.9.0/255.255.255.0

FYI: eth0 is my private interface.

Steve Cowles