[pptp-server] Can access shares on poptop server but nothing else!

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Tue Mar 13 22:37:16 CST 2001

Christopher Tresco wrote:

> Seems like you aren't authorized as a user to connect to those shares.  You
> login to the VPN connect as someone in your chap-secrets.  Those users in
> that file aren't necessarily allowed to connect to shares on other windows
> machines.  What is telling those machines that you are authorized?  Nothing.
>
> You need to authenticate via some central server.  Set samba up as a master
> browser (Domain Controller) and authenticate all your machines through it
> and your vpn clients through the smbpasswd file.  Once all the user accounts
> are kept in a central place, all authentication mechanisms will be in sync
> and you will be a happy camper.

Chris, I am not sure I understand. I have samba set up as a master browser and
PDC providing domain logins for my clients at work. All users and myself have
unix accounts and smbpasswd entries and we all use it for authentication. When I
log in via VPN from home as "david" I am authenticating against chap-secrets for
pptp access and against smbpasswd for access to my samba shares (there is no
guest account or guest privileges on my samba server) When I log in, I can
access all of my samba file shares just fine, I just can't use the print share
or access any of the other WinXX boxes. I know why I can't access my print
shares.  That's because my printers that are shared are attached to my
secretary's WinME box that I can't access through VPN. I don't know, something
smells fishy and I have an uncanny nack for overlooking the obvious resulting in
unnecessary self inflicted pain. (I am beginning to feel sever discomfort) What
else could I be missing?

Thanks,

David Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas