[pptp-server] Re: Can access shares on poptop server but nothing else!

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Tue Mar 13 22:17:44 CST 2001

George Vieira wrote:

> Can you view the shares using IP addresses. eg.
>
> net view \\192.168.7.xx
>
> if this fails then it's probably because you can't get throught the network
> (ipchains problem).

George,

net view /WORKGROUP:RB_LAW /yes returns the following when run from my Win98
box at home. NEMESIS is the Linux/Samba/PopTop server at work (aptly named),
SKYLINE is home, the rest are the remainder of the machines in my office (don't
ask how TRIPOD got its name). Everything seems OK, no name resolution problems
at all.

Servers available in workgroup RB_LAW.
Server name            Remark

\\BERTIN               Darren's Crippled Maching
\\NEMESIS              RB_LAW Samba Server 2.0.7
\\RANKIN               DAVID C. RANKIN
\\SECRETARY            PIII 866 20G
\\SKYLINE              Home 233MHz 20G
\\TRIPOD               P233MMX 20G
The command was completed successfully.

> Have you got the vpn PPP link totally free of ipchains firewall rules?

Yes. I don't use ipchains, I'm behind a cable/dsl router that provides NAT.
Router port 1723 is forwarded to NEMESIS.

> Have you got ip forwarding enabled on your pptpd server?

Uhh, I think so? All of my IP traffic goes through NEMESIS. It is my internal
DNS and gateway and handles all of the traffic from the router and forwards it
to the right machines in the office. All of the machines have no problem
accessing the net through NEMESIS. I guess a picture would help

[SKYLINE] => [internet] => [Linksys cable/dsl router] => [NEMESIS] =>[others on
lan]

On the lan side all machines can talk to each other. However, the windows to
windows may be getting done by peer-to-peer. They all access the server and use
the internet as shown above, but on the lan side I don't have to go through
NEMESIS to get to the other windows machines. I just don't know. Do you have
any additional thoughts after the latest information?

Thanks
David Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas