[pptp-server] RE: Can access shares on poptop server but nothing else!

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Tue Mar 13 22:49:13 CST 2001

Based on your prior posts... your WINS server is running on your PPTP
server, so the above "could" actually work because the browse request (from
the client) does not have to be routed past the PPTP server.

> > Have you got the vpn PPP link totally free of ipchains
> > firewall rules?
>
> Yes. I don't use ipchains, I'm behind a cable/dsl router that
> provides NAT. Router port 1723 is forwarded to NEMESIS.

Since you are able to establish a PPTP tunnel and at least "talk" to the
PPTP server, I will leave the above alone. Although, I still think you have
a routing and/or arp related problem.

> > Have you got ip forwarding enabled on your pptpd server?
>
> Uhh, I think so? All of my IP traffic goes through NEMESIS.
> It is my internal DNS and gateway and handles all of the
> traffic from the router and forwards it to the right machines
> in the office. All of the machines have no problem accessing
> the net through NEMESIS. I guess a picture would help
>
> [SKYLINE] => [internet] => [Linksys cable/dsl router] =>
> [NEMESIS] =>[others on lan]

What is the value of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward  ?? It needs to be one
(1)

To check value, type: cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Also, when the PPTP client connects - does /var/log/messages show the
ethernet interface (like eth0) being set as proxy arp for the PPTP client?
i.e.

Mar 12 16:53:52 excelsior pppd[767]: found interface eth0 for proxy arp

If not, you will only be able to talk to the PPTP server (from the client)
and no further.

Steve Cowles