[pptp-server] Re: Can access shares on poptop server but nothing else!

robert berzerke at swbell.net
Wed Mar 14 10:10:44 CST 2001

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 22:17, David Rankin wrote:
> George Vieira wrote:
<snip>

Here is probably the key to your problem:

> > Have you got ip forwarding enabled on your pptpd server?
>
> Uhh, I think so? All of my IP traffic goes through NEMESIS. It is my
> internal DNS and gateway and handles all of the traffic from the router and
> forwards it to the right machines in the office. All of the machines have
> no problem accessing the net through NEMESIS. I guess a picture would help
>
> [SKYLINE] => [internet] => [Linksys cable/dsl router] => [NEMESIS]
> =>[others on lan]
>
> On the lan side all machines can talk to each other. However, the windows
> to windows may be getting done by peer-to-peer. They all access the server
> and use the internet as shown above, but on the lan side I don't have to go
> through NEMESIS to get to the other windows machines. I just don't know. Do
> you have any additional thoughts after the latest information?
>
> Thanks
> David Rankin
> Nacogdoches, Texas

Poptop connection is a ppp connection, not an eth connection.  Therefore your
pptpd server *MUST* forward the packets to the rest of the network (and vice
versa) in order for you to connect with the rest of the network.  At
*minimum*, you have to have forwarding enabled
("echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" as root).   If you were running a
firewall, that would have to allow the forwarding as well.