[pptp-server] libsmbpw.so vs chap-secrets

Dread Boy dreadboy at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 21 00:45:21 CST 2001

OK, quick authentication questions...

Are the following statements true or false:

1) Using libsmbpw.so in conjunction with pppsmb.pat patch will force a
client to send their password encrypted.

2) Using only chap-secrets without authenticating from smbpasswd will force
a client to send their password plain-text.

3) Forcing an encrypted password from the client will force pptpd to decrypt
it before authenticating with chap-secrets.

4) My password flies across the vast Internet cloud plain text when I use
chap-secrets vs SMB password-encryption authentication.

I do like plugging up that libsmbpw blank username/password thing by using
chap-secrets instead - but not at the expense of sending my passwords
plain-text for others to snag.  Should I be worried?

Thx.  Dreadly.