[pptp-server] libsmbpw.so vs chap-secrets

Justin Kreger jkreger at avidsolutionsinc.com
Wed Mar 21 04:22:15 CST 2001

>1) Using libsmbpw.so in conjunction with pppsmb.pat patch will force a
>client to send their password encrypted.

No such thing in the code, so False

>2) Using only chap-secrets without authenticating from smbpasswd will force

>a client to send their password plain-text.

False, you have it backwards, Chap is encrypted

>3) Forcing an encrypted password from the client will force pptpd to
decrypt
>it before authenticating with chap-secrets.

False, PPTPD is just a carrier, it takes a packet off the GRE tunnel, and
hands it to pppd, then it gets packets from pppd, and sends them across the
tunnel.

>4) My password flies across the vast Internet cloud plain text when I use
>chap-secrets vs SMB password-encryption authentication.

False, Its in a hash

Justin Kreger, MCP MCSE
Network Administrator
Avid Solutions, Inc.
Work E-Mail: jkreger at avidsolutionsinc.com
Home E-Mail: jkreger at earthling.2y.net