Antwort: RE: [pptp-server] pptp connection with encryption an d kernel 2.4. 0

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Tue Mar 27 10:20:24 CST 2001

I'm going by my understanding of your post. You stated that when you
disabled "data encryption" you were able to ping the PPTP server, but when
you enabled data encryption, you were not. Correct??

> The ip-address of the eth0 interface (192.168.0.1) and the
> ip-address of the ppp0 interface (192.168.1.x) are not in
> the same network - should I be able to ping the ppp0 Interface?
> Or is even this impossible if I don´t fix the proxyarp problem.

Based on my understanding of your post and the current state of your PPTP
server. If data encryption is disabled... then you should still be able to
ping the ppp0 interface, just nothing past it until you fix your proxyarp
problems.

If your interested, I wrote a document that explains how important the
proxyarp statement is to PPTP connections. Its written at a 30,000 foot
view, but should help your understanding of how packets of data traverse
VPN's. Checkout:

http://www.infohiiway.com/pptp/proxyarp.html

> What do you think, does this clearly indicate a problem with
> the MPPE encryption?

With regards to enabling data encryption, yes.

If I were in your shoes, I would focus my efforts on:
1) fixing the proxy arp problems
2) your mppe implementation to fix the data encryption problem

FWIW: I run W2K here and have no problems connecting to my PopTop server
with data encryption enabled. Although, I am still running on the 2.2.x
kernels.

Steve Cowles