[pptp-server] pptpd questions/info newbie...

Martin Feeney martin at tuatha.org
Fri Oct 5 04:08:59 CDT 2001

On Thu, 04 Oct 2001 11:51:56 Dean Roman wrote:

> 1) Will PPTP work with the win2k clients behind NAT'd firewalls (like a
> cable modem running NAT)?

This is your biggest problem - probably not unless you can port forward
port 1723 and protocol forward protocol 47(GRE). And it'll only work for
one machine behind each NAT firewall.

> 2) Does the basic package found in woody WITHOUT any patches support any
> kind of encryption mechanism?

Nope, but if you trust me not to do anything nasty, I can send you a .deb
with mppe and smb-stripdomain patches.

Then you can also install the kernel-patch-mppe package and apply it to
your kernel.

This should also take care of questions 3,4,6 and 7.

> 5) Is the concept the same as that for a regular dialup connection using
> ppp?

Yes and no. The lcp/ppp protocols are the same (with the addition of mppe
for encryption). The transport layer is over ip rather than over a
telephone line, however.

The client create a tcp connection on port 1723 to the server. They have a
little chat and open up an ip socket connection (protocol 47 - GRE) to
contain the tunnel and run ppp over it.

Other than that simple explanation, there are many, many FAQs and
whitepapers you can read - most of them available at, or linked from
http://poptop.lineo.com/

Martin.