[pptp-server] pptpd questions/info newbie...

Dean Roman droman at romansys.com
Fri Oct 5 08:03:38 CDT 2001

Jordan Share wrote:

> Are all your clients behind the same NAT?  Or is each behind their own?

Each client is behind it's own NAT.  The scenario is...
Each Windows 2K client is at home or on the road behind a cable modem or
dsl nat'd modem.
I have 20 or so windows clients all at different locations behind there
own NAT.
Each client connects into the same PPTP linux server in our office that
is NOT behind a NAT'd firewall.

> Most NAT solutions that I've encountered recently work fine with a client behind the NAT box.  IIRC, the linux-based NAT will even allow you to have multiple PPTP clients behind the same NATted IP address, as long as they all connect to different PPTP servers.

I am unfamiliar with IIRC linux based NAT.  From what you are saying
above, I gather that it uses the default windows PPTP VPN client built
into win2k boxes.  The server runs under linux...you can use it with the
client behind a NAT/masquerading gateway/firewall...now for the big
question...
Does it support any type of encryption mechanism?

Can you send me a link to somewhere I can find out more info. on the
IIRC VPN?