[pptp-server] Windows 2000 PoPToP connection problems...

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Fri Oct 5 15:17:48 CDT 2001

I've had problems with Win2K ignoring routing information, that is the
information the route command prints is correct, but the packets go
out the wrong interface. This usually happens when netmeeting is
run.

Bring up the pptp connection, check that the route command prints out
reasonable data, then sniff the packets coming up the ppp link, and if
you can, going out the ethernet on the Win2K box. Ethereal is a good
sniffer for this. There's both Linux and Windows versions of it.

Also, Win2k will sometimes NOT use the DNS information handed it by
pptp, but I've never been able to pin down what configuration settings
make this so. Make sure it's not just that you can't resolv the names.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571