[pptp-server] PPTP client behind iptables firewall

Jim McCormack jimmc at shocksystems.com
Mon Sep 3 10:22:12 CDT 2001

Hello All:

I understand that the RFC/protocol and consequently PoPToP will not
allow multiple vpn connections from a single ip address.  This is not an
issue for me necessarily, as long as I can connect from any of my vpn
clients behind my iptables firewall, as long as they are at different
times.  I have been having trouble getting this to work.  I have
searched the mailing list archives for sample iptables code, but most
seemes to be relevant for running a poptop SERVER behind a masqueraded
firewall.  Furthermore most of the examples I see have you explicitly
state the ip address of the client that will be connecting through the
firewall, and having all of the GRE traffic directed to that machine.
That of course won't allow me to connect from different machines at any
time without changing the firewall code.  I of course explicitly allow
incoming and outgoing Protocol 47 (GRE) and TCP 1723 traffic.

Can anyone who is currently connecting to a pptp server from a client
behind an iptables firewall share their experience, and what, if
anything, special they had to do to make it work.

Cheers!

Jim McCormack