[pptp-server] Re: PPP problems over VPN (MPPE)

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Sun Sep 23 11:31:02 CDT 2001

I'm not aware of any legal issues with regards to the MPPE patches. It's the
MPPC stuff that would require licensing. Someone enlighten me please if I'm
mistaken.

FWIW: I'm in the process of developing a "consolidated" website and forum
for PoPToP/PPP related issues. I plan on including pre-patched kernel/pppd
source code to help make life easier for all of us. So far, my only real
concern is finding time to support the effort, not all the legal bullshit.
It's my understanding that just as long as the proper disclaimers are
included, there should be no problems with posting PPP source code with the
MPPE patches already applied along with linux kernels with the appropriate
MPPE patches already applied.

With the above in mind. Is there an interest in having a consolidated
website that offers pre-patched kernels/ppp sources along with a searchable
FAQ? I can find better things to do with my spare time.

> FYI I'm not anti-MS and I'm not anti-Linux; I use both and
> appreciate both for their respective strengths and
> acknowledge MS's and the Linux community's right to do
> things in their own ways. I'm also new to PoPToP, so I
> claim no expertise on the subject. However, I, too, get
> tired of dealing with kernel patches and compiles so like
> Jim, I am also very interested in the reasons this stuff
> is required.

Steve Cowles