[pptp-server] name-resolution doesn't work across VPN

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Mon Feb 11 19:57:50 CST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Jeff Fitzsimons wrote:

> This is the first installment of my multi-part whinefest.  :-)

They're *never* popular.

> My VPN client is a Win2k box.  Its only network connection talks to a
> dedicated NIC in the server (ie the VPN is NOT established over the
> Internet).  It connects to the Linux pptpd server fine.  At that point the
> client can ping happily away to raw IP addresses both inside and outside the
> local network.  However, any time I try to ping a machine name (i.e. NOT an
> IP address) that's not in the lmhosts file, it fails with an "unknown host".

That sounds very much like a name resolution issue on the Win2k box. Which
doesn't have a lot to do with pptod, does it?

> The Linux box is also a WINS server and ms-wins is set appropriately in the
> pptpd.conf file.  I don't think WINS comes into play here though.

What about DNS settings?

> I'm running pptpd (1.0.1-1) and ipchains (1.3.10-7) on a RedHat Linux
> (kernel 2.4.2-2) box.

I'd advise you to use the so-called unstable pptpd.

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739