[pptp-server] Login to domain

Sean sean at cyberfarer.com
Fri Jan 4 10:52:45 CST 2002

Okay, I do not know if this accurately describes your issue or not but here
goes:

My problem was that remotely from network places I could see Server (linux
pptp server) Bob (workstation 1) and Rob (workstation 2). I could not access
Bob or Rob by mapping with \\Bob or by doubleclicking within network places.
I could access both Bob and Rob with thier IP's or \\192.168.1.x

The solution for me was an lmhosts. I placed an lmhosts file on both the
pptpd server and locally on the remote station I was connecting from. On win
XP I believe the location is C:\windows\System32\Drivers\ETC

You will need to rename lmhosts.sam to just lmhosts.

I then used the following entries:

192.168.1.1        Server        #PRE
192.168.1.2        Bob            #PRE
192.168.1.2        Rob            #PRE

Followed by running the command nbtstat -R I was able to access Bob and Rob
with \\Bob or \\Rob.

I hope that helps.

Sean.