[pptp-server] Shouldn't I be able to see WIndows servers inNetwork Neighborhood?

Dougal Holmes dholmes at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 8 19:15:59 CST 2002

> I don't think this is it.
>
> I didn't copy the rules from the masq howto. I use SNAT instead of
> MASQUERADE anyways since the IP is static. (according to the Netfilter
> howto this is the correct method.)
>
> The line from my script for this is:
>
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j SNAT --to $EXTERNALIP
>
> Yes. I can ping all the machines in the office from the remote machine
> ping 192.168.0.2 works as well (the IP of the "goofy" file server)
>
> I don't think I'm dropping any packets at all in anyway regarding
> this. At any point where I have a --jump DROP on my filter rules
> I have preceeded it with a --jump LOG target.  I should be seeing
> any and all packets that are dropped regardless of their destination
> or source or other filter criteria.
>
> The only thoughts I have going are:
>
> The remote machine has an ethernet local area network that it is on
> and this network has had a WINS server assigned by DHCP; this WINS
> server is also on the same physical ethernet network as the remote
> VPN client. The VPN service also has assigned a different WINS
> server to the client.  Does the client just do the stupid thing
> and only query the first assigned, local WINS server?

Exactly. If you have multiple WINS servers, you need to setup WINS
replication between the two servers.

> I can't tell if its querying goofy for netbios name resolution or
> not. I can't even tell if goofy is properly acting as a WINS server
> either so I don't know if goofy's list is correct and available.
>
> Microsoft really needs to chuck netbios. Its a horrible, horrible
> system mapping computers.

Agreed. But we have to live with it.

> But even if netbios is all screwed up and regardless of whether the
> WINS servers are responding I still I thought I should be able to
> just type in \\192.168.0.2 into the network neighborhood address
> and get to the machine without having to rely on WINS resolution.

That only works if the client is WinNT or later, and there is a trust
relationship between the two domains. I think your main problem is the two
domains which do not have a trust relationship between them......

Dougal
--
Dougal Holmes (at home)
mailto://dholmes@bigpond.net.au